Nice to Meet You

Welcome to the place where you can find interesting things and hopefully learn a little or contribute a lot. This blog is inteded to test those Pins that seem too good to be true- or anything else that you might be curious about. Your participation in any form is strongly encouraged.

Ads Banner

10-Step Cloth Diapers

Diaper Cover and Soak Pad

 
We spend $20 or more a week on diapers. Since I didn't "go green" with my Lovey, I decided to give it a try this go 'round. I can't wait to make these adorable little diapers for my Lily.
 

My results:
First Diaper

The instructions for the pattern I have weren't very clear- even with the pictures. Also, the pattern only gives two options: diaper with pocket (for soaker pad inside) or diaper with soaker pad (against baby's skin).
 
I chose the pocket pattern with soaker pad inside the diaper.
 


 
The idea and simplicity of the pattern (not so much the instructions) has inspired me to try again but make it better! There is a third option. I will make it my mission this week to make this pattern really work for me.
A tutorial is in order for the future diapers.
 
 
**UPDATE**
 
Below is a short tutorial for making these cloth diapers.
 
 

To Begin:

Step 1: 



Trace pattern onto fabric. Be sure that the straight side is on the fold of the fabric. Cut one lining and one waterproof outer fabric. Also, cut two or three rectangle layers of fabric and sew together to make a soaker pad.


Step 2:

Measure, cut, then sew the loop side of your Velcro on the right side of outer fabric across the top.


Step 3:

Sew the soak pad in the middle of the wrong side of the lining fabric.

 Step:4


With the Velcro side of outer fabric lying face-up, put the liner fabric on top with the soak pad face-up. Sew a 3/8" seam all around diaper except the red part pictured above.

Step 5:

Add elastic on the back and legs. Take your elastic and sew each beginning and end to garment. *Note: The fabric will bunch together and this is intentional. Only do one piece of elastic at a time. It's easier :) After beginning and end is sewn down, stretch the elastic until diaper lays flat and sew a zigzag through the elastic from beginning to end. Do this for back and each leg. Below is what the diaper looks like with all elastic pieces attached.

 

 Step 6: 


*Note: If using a waterproof outer fabric, use sealer on inside of all seams before turning right-side-out.
Turn diaper right-side-out and sew closed the hole above the Velcro.

Step 7:

Add topstitch outlining the elastic parts of the diaper. To do this: pull fabric straight and sew on the outside of the elastic, NEVER through. This gives a casing for the elastic to stay in place; closest to the seam.

 Step 8:

Measure, cut, then sew Velcro hook onto both tabs of diaper.

 Step 9:

Apply seam sealer to all topstitching if using waterproof fabric. Wash diaper inside-out with Velcro fastened. Hang dry if using waterproof fabric.
 

Step 10:

Enjoy!

Baby Lily in her new diaper.
 
Thank you for reading. I hope this helps you try to go green with your baby. Please comment or email me any questions or results that you may have.

1 comment:

  1. Your diaper looks great! Did you use the elastic measurements given in the pattern? I have made one of these so far in a newborn size for my little girl who is coming in October. I would love to sew some more but I just worry about the elastic being the right size. I made a bunch of Kwik Sew AIO before my son was born and the elastic was too tight in every single one! THanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Here